What should you insure as a landlord?

The home insurance is divided between the owner and the tenant(s). As the owner of a property, you need to be insured against fire damage and water damage. If you own an apartment in a condominium building, the syndic provides a block policy or a condominium insurance that covers the entire building against fire damage.

In addition, your tenant should consider taking out insurance for their personal belongings, as they are not covered by the home insurance or the block policy of the condominium building. Your tenant can seek contents insurance from an insurance broker.

Blogpost foto